It could be argued that Izzo's Alex II is a semi-automatic heat exchanger designed with the control freak in mind: With its innovative convertible water source technology (which lets you switch between plumbed or internal reservoir), PID control of the primary boiler and an upgraded .9mm steam tip on the insulated no-burn steam arm, the Alex II lets you call the shots — literally. Combine all this with the renowned E61 brew group and a high-grade polished stainless-steel casing, and the Alex II is just as stunning as it is functional.
How the Izzo Alex II Semi-Automatic Works
- Turn the espresso machine on; brewing temperature will likely be reached in about 10 minutes
- While you're waiting for the machine to warm up, you can grind and tamp your espresso in your portafilter
- When brew temperature is reached, lift the lever to pull some water through the brew group, warming up all internal components prior to pulling your shot
- Insert your portafilter and initiate the shot by lifting the lever
- Once your shot is complete, push the lever back down to end the shot and release pressure — you'll end up with a dry puck for disposal
- If you're making a latte or cappuccino, feel free to steam your milk at any time; the heat exchange boiler facilitates simultaneous brew and steam
Features & Functionality of the Izzo Alex II Semi-Automatic
- Heavy-Duty Housing: Polished stainless steel body features a removable cup warmer and large removable drip tray and grate.
- Commercial-Grade Heat Exchange Boiler System: Brew and steam simultaneously with a large, insulated two-liter heat exchange boiler that includes a 1400 watt element and resettable high-limit breaker. The high-quality vacuum breaker can be put on a timer with no vapor lock, so once this espresso machine is up to temperature, it can brew all day.
- E-61 Brew Group: Commercially-designed for excellent espresso, the E-61 brew group is a master of temperature regulation and also features a thermal siphon design that stabilizes the group's temperature while inactive.
- Low Water Cut Off: If your Alex II is low on water, power is cut to the boiler and pump.
- 3-Way Bi-pass Valve and Lever Control: Your Alex II incorporates a simple lever design for shot initiation and, once you end the shot, pressure will be released via the three-way valve, leaving you with a dry puck for easy disposal.
- PID Control: Dial in your shot temperature by setting the steam boiler's temperature, which will effect the water temp in the heat exchange.
- Commercial Rotary Pump: Provides near silent operation.
- High Capacity Water Reservoir or Plumbing Option: Large reservoir holds up to three liters of water or you can flip the built-in lever located behind the drip tray and plumb Alex II directly to a water source.
- Steam and Hot Water Nozzles: Both the steam wand and the hot water dispenser are ball mounted so they can easily be rotated for convenient steaming operation. The Alex II has been upgraded with insulated, no-burn steam and hot water wands and the steam tip is now a .9mm standard for easily producing silky microfoam.
Included Accessories with the Izzo Alex II Semi-Automatic
- Two Portafilters: The Alex includes two complete 58mm Chrome-plated brass portafilters, one single and one double.
- Basket Set: Your Alex comes with two filter baskets for single and double shots.
|Case Material||Stainless Steel|
|Boiler Volume||2 liter|
|Reservoir Size||2.3 liter|
|Steam Wand Type||Traditional Only|
|Water Sources||Convertible - Internal Reservoir or Plumbed in|
Submit a question directly to owners of this product and ask what they think about it!
Looking for warranty, care information, or videos of this product? You're in the right place!
Warranty Information for the Izzo Alex II
|What it Covers:||
Izzo espresso machines
|Who Supports the Warranty:||Seattle Coffee Gear|
|Warranty Contact Information:||866-372-4734 or email us at [email protected]|
|Notes:||Read more about Seattle Coffee Gear's Warranty coverage.|
|Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty?||Yes|
|Can SCG Repair?||Yes. Read more about our out-of-warranty repair services.|
Caring for the Izzo Alex II
- Descale every two to three months. We recommend using Dezcal.
- Clean the brew gasket daily with a cleaning brush.
- Soap out water tank (if applicable) and drip tray every few days.
- Optional: Perform backflush routine and clean the filter basket each week.
Excellent machineReview by Scott
Quality Value Price
Produces very consistent shots always. Took a bit to dial in at first but to be expected with a new machine. Does a great job of steaming milk but recovery took a bit of time, if you are a big cappa or latte person, I would suggest getting the Duetto II especially if you are going to produce more than one at a time. A non-issue for me since I mainly use in the morning for straight espresso. Alex II is a significant upgrade over Silvia machine in all respects, no regrets with the purchase. Love the PID controller for consistent water temp. Seems to generate a fair amount of waste water with the required cooling flush, guess I need to attach the drain line soon. Rattle was caused by metal on metal from cover for the innards and frame of the machine. Solved by placing two little felt pads between where the metal cover and frame were touching, problem gone. Cost less than $2 and under 5 minutes installing pads.
Quiet, Quality of shots, Great Taste, Consistency of shots, Easy To Use, Commercial Grade
Had a rattle at first, Large machine
(Posted on 4/19/12)
Excellent Machine w/solid craftsmanshipReview by Xpresso
Quality Value Price
Had a small leak when I first received the machine but the insides were well thought out and easily accessible. A quick and easy fix. This machine allows me to dial in the perfect God shot. Will like to get a quality grinder next because the one I have now is junk, and every coffee shop is like a Goldie Lock experience. The only thing wrong with this machine is you can't get an espresso at a coffee house or chain that is as good what I can have at home.
Great Taste, Easy To Use, Heavy Duty, Easy To Clean, Commercial Grade
(Posted on 7/4/11)