To those who thought an affordable heat exchanger espresso machine would never exist, the Nuova Simonelli Oscar Direct Connect has arrived to prove them wrong. Using the quality construction of many other heat exchanging machines, the Oscar comes in at several hundred dollars lower than the competition without sacrificing quality. The Oscar is offered in two water source types, a plumbed and a tank model. The direct connect model is best suited for those users interested in high-volume home production or small cafe settings. Easy to use and stylish to look at, great for pulling shots whether you tamp your own or adapt to use with espresso pods.
Features & Functionality of the Nuova Simonelli Oscar
- Heat Exchanger: Double boilers are so 2010 -- Heat exchangers provide most of the same benefit at a much lower price point. Brew and steam at the same time with this unit as well.
- Simple Interface: Two buttons and a steam knob. You wont need to spend hours trying to figure out what each feature does, making it easy to pull this guy out of the box, dial in your grinder and make espresso pronto.
- Professional Portafilter: This machine uses a high quality and durable 58mm portafilter.
- Direct Connect: Plumb this machine into your water supply for high-capacity home production or small cafe settings.
- Large Water Tank: 2.3 liter reservoir means you won't have to fill up every couple shots.
- Great Steam Pressure: This steam wand is both capable of good microfoam as well as very quick temperature increases, blasting milk to latte temperature in seconds.
- Cup Warmer: The top of this machine functions perfectly as a cup warmer, with about enough space to old nine shot glasses cappuccino cups.
- Sturdy Construction: This is a durable commercial quality espresso machine.
- Removable Tray: Easily adjust the tray or remove it completely to accommodate taller cups.
|Ease of Use||4|
|Ease of Care and Maintenance||4|
|Overall Value for the Money||4|
|How Does it Compare?||
The Nuova Simonelli Oscar makes great shots at a great price. Plus the red model looks great and jazzes up any countertop!
|Tips and Tricks||
Be sure not to turn the steam dial all the way off. Stop just after the steam ceases.
|Cup Clearance||3.0 inches|
|Boiler Volume||2 liter|
|Reservoir Size||2.3 liter|
|Steam Wand Type||Traditional Only|
|Warm Up: Brew Time||25 minutes|
|Boiler Design||Heat Exchanger|
|Pod Friendly||Yes - with adaptation|
Submit a question directly to owners of this product and ask what they think about it!
As a side note, you can also boil water pretty quickly using the steam wand, but that can create that awful squealing noise as the temp gets higher (at least in a frothing pitcher). Aug 15, 2013
1) what is the recovery time? In other words, if I make a latte, how long will I have to wait before I can make another one?
2) I'm having a terrible time with the steam line on a 6-month old Pasquini Livietta. How much trouble have you had with scaling, clogging, etc?
3) An anyone tell me how the machine handles distiller water? Jul 14, 2013
The steam wand works well but we have very good water here so I suspect that may help. You can't use 100% distiller water as the water sensor requires some mineral content to work...
Overall, we are happy with the unit, although we got off to a very rough start...if you do not leave the unit on 24/7 you will need to run the steam at least twice after warm up before trying to actually steam milk...kind of a pain in the a* as we choose not to leave the machine on. Jul 17, 2013
2. I have had no trouble at all and, to be honest, have not been especially observant in de-scaling the machine.
3. The Oscar can't use pure distilled water: apparently, the water-level sensor relies on a low level electric current and distilled water isn't sufficiently conductive. So I fill the reservoir with distilled water and add 8-12 ounces of filtered water, which works fine. Jul 15, 2013
2. No problems yet, but I've only had it for about 2 months.
3. Simonelli says NO to distilled water in this machine. There has to be some minerals in the water for the boiler auto fill to function properly. If you used distilled, the pump won't shut off when it fills the boiler.
We use Primo bottled water from the grocery store. It has 33 TDS (total dissolved solids) which is perfect for this machine and should keep scale to a bare minimum. Jul 15, 2013
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/service/tech-tips/descaling-home-espresso-machine May 28, 2013
Looking for warranty, care information, or videos of this product? You're in the right place!
Warranty Information for the Nuova Simonelli Oscar
|What it Covers:||
Nuova Simonelli espresso machines and grinders
- 1 Year (Grinders)
- 2 Years (Oscar and Musica - all models)
- Variable (See below)
|Who Supports the Warranty:||Seattle Coffee Gear|
|Warranty Contact Information:||866-372-4734 or email us at email@example.com|
The Oscar, Musica and all grinders are eligible for SCG's standard warranty service and support. Learn more about what's covered.
Commercial class espresso machines have several different service plans available from which you may select during order placement. Please speak with your commercial sales rep for details on coverage duration, service level and individual policies.
|Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty?||Yes (Oscar and Musica models only).|
|Can SCG Repair?||Yes. Read more about our out-of-warranty repair services.|
Caring for the Nuova Simonelli Oscar
- Soap out water tank (if applicable) and drip tray every few days.
- Backflush the brewhead every couple weeks to ensure the best tasting espresso.
- To prevent lime and calcium build up in your machine, it is necessary to have a water treatment and possibly a technician professional descale your machine.
User Manuals for your Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Videos Featuring the Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Good machine for home or eventsReview by Bojo
Price Value Quality
Have this machine at home after we would use a similar machine on celebrity events we would participate with. Years back we worked with Cafe Bustelo & Medalia de Oro in sales for west territory. We used this machine and it was definitely the best option vs. all others in same catagory. They traveled well, easy to use, and cleaning was very simple as well.
(Posted on 11/25/13)
Superb espresso machine!Review by Kimberly
Value Quality Price
We purchased this machine after seeing it in the Seattle Gear Shop. We live on the East Coast but a business trip to Seattle gave us the opportunity to see this machine as well as some other really nice ones in person at SCG. It was more than we had intended to spend on a new machine but seeing it in person was enough to convince us that it was time to move up to a commercial quality machine. We have been making espresso for about 10 years or so and have had a number of decent consumer quality machines.
The Oscar is incredibly easy to use and makes a superb cup of coffee--as good if not better than our local coffee shop. The temperature of the coffee is perfect and the frothing capability is the best we have ever used. Although we usually grind our own beans at home, we occasionally have to use illy from a can. Even those cups taste great.
This is a high quality machine that is worth the investment. Note the manufacturer's warranty is two years rather than the usual one year.
(Posted on 10/28/13)
Great machine for entertainingReview by BK and PK
Price Value Quality
We bought this machine knowing that it was the only machine at our price point that can pull shot after shot for home entertaining. We've had the machine for a couple of years and have served up lattes, cappuccinos and espressos for parties on several occasions without a hitch.
We highly recommend the machine for anyone looking to move up from the entry level machines.
(Posted on 10/18/13)
Oscar SimonelliReview by Steve A
Quality Price Value
I have owned this machine for about 6 years. I used to work out of my home office so I did it in style with the Oscar. Initially the machine had some problems but after I sent it in for repairs it has been pretty much bulletproof. I use it for latte and espresso and always use water filtered with my britta filter which makes the coffee wonderful, our water has lots of minerals and messes up things like kuerig machines. I stopped using the machine for a couple of years and started up again and it is still flawless. I do not take the tank out to re-fill the machine I just pour the filtered water into a piece of tupperware and usually get 98% of it in the machine. I also have the grinders that are made for the machine, I have two but I only use one because I used to stock decaf but am now too old to drink decaf. Anyhow if you like hands on stuff and have disdain for cheap gadgets this is the machine for you. I use the Lavazza beans and the crema is great. Anyhow I can't think of anything else I bought over 6 years ago that I still use and it works. Thanks
(Posted on 1/26/13)
A Good "No Frills" Espresso MachineReview by Home Barista Wantabee
Price Value Quality
I did a lot of research on this unit before I purchased it. For me the fewer "bells and whistles" was a desirable feature. There are other products in this same price range, but I think this machine is very good for the money. My only complaint is the lack of a hot water spout, but a hot water kettle is an easy fix for that.
This machine makes good espresso and the product is well built and fits well in most kitchens without any problem. The machine takes about 10 minutes to warm up and we are very happy with the unit. It produces a good amount of steam and makes great steamed milk and foam for lattes and other drinks.
SCG usually throws in a free bag of Velton's coffee with the purchase of this unit so you get some great coffee to go with your great espresso machine.
(Posted on 11/21/12)
high quality at a reasonable priceReview by bob
Price Value Quality
it has been a great machine (and it's not necessary to flush the boiler!). Personally, I don't think the "plastic looks cheap" (it's high density ABS plastic, the kind used to make impossible-to-destroy wastewater canoes). It's a very heavy machine, which says "quality." As for the small hole in the removable water tank, I just leave the tank in the machine and keep a plastic funnel next to it, and every day I refill what I've used that day, using the funnel. Simple! I say this is the best machine at the $1000 price point.:-)
(Posted on 11/8/12)
my dream machineReview by MZ
Quality Value Price
This is the best machine for home use I suppose. Water temperate is perfect for a home-use machine.
Great Taste, Large boiler
(Posted on 9/29/11)
Write Your Own Review
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
$15.00 As low as: $14.00
Regular Price: $150.00
Our Price: $125.00