Daily Archives: September 12, 2009
We've definitely been in a baking mood lately -- everything from cobblers to breads to complicated Italian dishes (timpano!) -- and these little vittles have definitely found a tiny place in our hearts (and not so tiny spot on our waistline!).
- 1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw organic cacao powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted pastured butter, softened
- 2/3 cup non-refined sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 large pastured egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fair-trade semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup raw unsweetened organic coconut flakes
- Whisk together the flour, espresso, baking soda & powder, salt and cacao.
- Beat the butter until fluffy, then beat in the sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, pulling them out while still moist and soft.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes, serve warm.