Daily Archives: March 7, 2012
There's something you should know about me. Ready for it? I love community recipe sites. Seriously. I can spend a whole weekend browsing through them and bookmarking 100+ recipes that I want to make. Sure, I usually only cook one or two before I completely forget about them and start the process over again, but I still get an odd sense of accomplishment out of it.
That being said, I recently found a recipe for Chocolate Espresso Cookies and bookmarked it. Then I started doing these weekly blog posts and I finally had a reason to make them. I knew all that bookmarking would pay off ...
- 3 (1-ounce) squares of unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided in half
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons finely ground espresso beans (I used Velton's Twilight Blend)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Melt together unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup of the chocolate chip and butter. Stir occasionally until melted. You can do this in a double boiler or in the microwave (in small time increments and keeping a close eye on it).
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until thoroughly combined, about 2-3 minutes
- Mix in the ground espresso
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and mix well
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, then stir into the egg mixture
- Stir in the remaining chocolate chips and walnuts
- Drop dough by the tablespoon onto cookie sheets, leaving room for expansion during baking
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookie tops have a crackled appearance
- Cool on baking sheets
These really were amazing. Cookie on the outside and brownie on the inside, all with just enough espresso to make your taste buds happy! The Seattle Coffee Gear team gobbled them up in no time and Gail even had one with each of her two morning coffees. Yeah, they were that good.
Now, what are you waiting for? Go get your bake on!