Cooking with Kaylie: Espresso Chocolate Cake Truffles
This entry was posted on May 9, 2012.
Last week, I made an insanely decadent dessert to help celebrate a birthday. I mean, how could you go wrong with espresso chocolate cake mixed with espresso chocolate frosting and dipped in chocolate?
- Espresso chocolate cake
- Chocolate frosting
- 1 tablespoon finely ground espresso (I used Caffe Umbria’s Terra Sana Blend)
- Coating chocolate
- Bake espresso chocolate cake
- Let cake cool for 1 hour, then crumble it into small pieces
- In a separate bowl, combine chocolate frosting with espresso and mix well
- Combine crumbled espresso chocolate cake and espresso chocolate frosting, stirring together until well incorporated
- Using your hands, pick up cake and frosting mixture by the tablespoon and roll into balls
- Place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or the refrigerator for 1 hour
- When done chilling, melt the coating chocolate in a bowl
- Dip each ball into the chocolate, making sure it is fully coated before placing back on the cookie sheet
You just made cake truffles! While they are quite a bit of work, people thoroughly enjoy them. For example, I was told that this is the best recipe I’ve made so far for Seattle Coffee Gear. Success!
As an added bonus, it is super easy to take shortcuts on this recipe or scale it down. Only want 10 truffles? Then simply make 1/4 of the espresso chocolate cake recipe. Short on time? Buy some chocolate cupcakes at the store and just mix in the ground espresso with the frosting.
Also, don’t skip the freezer/refrigerator step. It’s what keeps them from falling apart as you dip them in the chocolate. Trust me on this one.
Now, what are you waiting for? Go make some awesome cake truffles!