Cooking with Kaylie: Coffee Infused Bourbon BBQ Sauce
It’s still raining in Seattle, but I’ve heard it’s summer in other parts of the country. And what do people do in summer? They barbecue!
Also, there are technically two recipes in this blog post, so it’s your lucky day!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup coffee infused bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine onion, garlic and bourbon
- Cook until onion is tender (about 10 minutes)
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes
This BBQ sauce is pretty much amazing. Whether you’re using it for ribs or shredded chicken sandwiches, you really can’t go wrong!
If you don’t have coffee infused bourbon lying around your house (and really, who does?), you’ll need to make some. Simply add 1/2 cup whole coffee beans (I used Velton’s Three Ravens Blend Decaf Espresso) to a bottle of bourbon. Let sit 24 hours and then strain out the beans. How easy was that?
Now, go get your barbecue on!