Cooking with Kaylie: Mocha Granita
Iced coffee? A delicious and trusty standby. Mocha smoothie? A great way to drink coffee and chocolate while still sounding like it’s a healthy option. Coffee-infused popsicles? A tasty alternative, but you need a popsicle mold.
So, I was pondering new ways to meet my summertime coffee intake requirements when I came across a recipe for Mocha Granita, which I modified a bit for espresso rather than French press coffee.
- Espresso (I used Caffe Umbria’s Terra Sana blend)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Brew 3 shots of espresso
- In a baking dish, combine hot espresso shots with sugar, cocoa powder, and 1/2 cup hot water
- Mix until sugar and cocoa powder dissolve
- Place in the freezer
- After 30 minutes, mix with a fork
- Repeat every hour until completely frozen
- Transfer to a glass and enjoy!
This granita is super rich and almost tastes like a frozen coffee brownie. You can’t go wrong with that! Added bonus: Other than the time factor, this recipe takes very little work.