Brewin' with Brandi: Espresso-Infused Vegetarian Gravy
This entry was posted on November 15, 2012.
Just work with us here.
Brandi doesn't eat meat and she's not a fan of mushrooms, so how can she produce a delicious gravy that has depth of flavor, great consistency and will stand up well to a lovely mash? By incorporating espresso, of course!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped onion
- 2 1/2 garlic cloves -- minced
- 2 shots of espresso
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 - 2 cups of vegetable broth (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Over medium heat, warm olive oil and then add onions and garlic; saute until onion is translucent.
- Add espresso and stir to incorporate.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the flour, mixing well to create a roux.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable broth while whisking at the same time. Continue adding broth until the gravy has reached your desired thickness and consistency.
- Allow the gravy to cook on low heat for a few minutes while all of the flavors combine.
- Finish with sage, salt and pepper to taste.