Brewin’ with Brandi: Spicy Mocha Recipe
When we found a recipe for a mocha that contained not one, but three of our favorite ingredients (chocolate, cinnamon and chilies) we had to try it. The cinnamon and hot chilies definitely provide this mocha with some extra heat, so it is sure to keep you warm on cold winter nights.
The cool thing about this recipe is that, unlike the other mocha recipes we've done, you don't need an espresso machine to make it. We did use a machine to pull the shots for the three cups of espresso required for the recipe but, since the milk is being heated on the stove, you could just as easily produce the espresso using a stovetop or other brew methods that don’t have a steam function. It’s like “making a mocha the way your grandmother used to,” but with a little more of a kick when it comes to the taste. To learn how to make this recipe yourself, watch Brandi flex her cooking muscles and whip up this tasty drink.
Brewin' with Brandi: Spicy Mocha Recipe
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 small dried red chilies
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups of espresso
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Start by combining the milk, cinnamon sticks and chilies in a large sauce pan.
- Turn the stove to high and heat until the mixture reaches a simmering point. Make sure to stir constantly to avoid scorching.
- Once the milk mixture reaches a simmer, remove from heat and cover and let steep for 15 minutes.
- After steeping, stir in the powdered sugar, 1 ½ cups of white sugar, 3 cups of espresso and 1 cup of cocoa powder (reserve ¼ cup for later).
- Return mixture to the burner and bring to a simmer again.
- While the mocha mixture is simmering, mix the heaving whipping cream and remaining ¼ cup of cocoa powder, and whisk until stiff to create a whipped cream topping. Set aside.
- Once the mocha mixture has reached a simmer, remove the cinnamon sticks and the chilies.
- Ladle the mocha into cups and top with a dollop or two of the whipped cream blend. Enjoy!