Brewin’ with Brandi: Espresso Shortbread
Perk up your afternoon coffee or tea break with this espresso shortbread recipe. These cookies have espresso mixed into the dough and a layer of espresso on the bottom, so they are sure to give you a buzz that will get you through the rest of the day. The fact that they only require a couple of common ingredients and their short baking time make them easy to whip in a pinch (or whenever you are need of a extra jolt of caffeine).
To learn how to make them yourself, watch Brandi create this surprise recipe under Bunny’s direction.
Brewin' with Brandi: Espresso Shortbread
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of espresso powder (for convenience sake we used a finely ground espresso blend).
- ¼ cup of espresso beans, roughly ground (French press grade grind)
- Preheat your oven 350F.
- Cream 1 ½ sticks of room temperature butter and ½ a cup of sugar, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and mix for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 ½ cups of all purpose flour and 1 ½ teaspoons of espresso powder and mix until smooth (about one minute).
- Spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Scatter the ground espresso evenly across the bottom of the pan.
- Gently press the dough into the espresso covered pan.
- Place pan on the top oven rack and bake until the shortbread is set, about 18-20 minutes.