Brewin’ with Brandi: Espresso Shortbread
This entry was posted on February 5, 2014.
Perk up your afternoon coffee or tea break with this espresso shortbread recipe. These cookies have espresso mixed into the dough and a layer of espresso on the bottom, so they are sure to give you a buzz that will get you through the rest of the day. The fact that they only require a couple of common ingredients and their short baking time make them easy to whip in a pinch (or whenever you are need of a extra jolt of caffeine).
To learn how to make them yourself, watch Brandi create this surprise recipe under Bunny’s direction.
Brewin' with Brandi: Espresso Shortbread
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of espresso powder (for convenience sake we used a finely ground espresso blend).
- ¼ cup of espresso beans, roughly ground (French press grade grind)
- Preheat your oven 350F.
- Cream 1 ½ sticks of room temperature butter and ½ a cup of sugar, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and mix for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 ½ cups of all purpose flour and 1 ½ teaspoons of espresso powder and mix until smooth (about one minute).
- Spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Scatter the ground espresso evenly across the bottom of the pan.
- Gently press the dough into the espresso covered pan.
- Place pan on the top oven rack and bake until the shortbread is set, about 18-20 minutes.