SCG Exclusive: Rocket Espresso R58 - Il Centesimo Giro d'Italia Edition
What does it take to pull the perfect shot of espresso? Patience. Expertise. Precision. Diligence. A deep understanding of your materials. The list goes on with different preparation techniques from person to person informing your perspective. Espresso aficionados alike strive for that euphoric moment of perfection – a demitasse cup of liquid gold. While many tools exist to get you there, a select few reign supreme. The Rocket Espresso R58 Il Centesimo Giro d'Italia Edition stands at the peak of its class. A reflection of espresso and cycling mastery, the R58 Centesimo is a commemoration of 100 years of Italian Bike Touring excellence.
The second of the famed 'European Grand Tour', The Giro d'Italia follows a route over 2,200 miles long circumventing Italy in a 23-day race. This centennial achievement is memorialized in this limited edition R58. Each R58 Centesimo sports the names of Giro d'Italia's champions (including 2017s Tom Dumoulin), custom side panels, maglia rosa-themed gauges and matching accessories. Much like a champion cyclist, you'll find the R58—with its classic dual boiler E61 setup, removable PID controls, and optional plumbing—a prime contender for creating some of the best espresso you've ever had.
Limited to a run of 100 machines worldwide to echo the 100 winners of the race, each R58 Centesimo is individually numbered to reflect it’s place it this one of a kind collection. Only 9 are available in the United States exclusively at Seattle Coffee Gear.Reflecting a cyclist's wheel, each R58 Centesimo features custom engraving of every Giro d'Italia champion.
The Big Race:Giro d'Italia 1953, Stage 4, Wim van Est and Gino Bartali
- Founded in 1909, the original Giro d’Italia was organized as a means to raise funds for the La Gazzetta dello Sport – an Italian publication covering various sports and the most widely read daily newspaper in Italy.
- The race is held annually during late May and early June, except for two breaks during World War 1 and 2.
- The Giro d’Italia is one of three races that make up the ‘European Grand Tour’ – the Tour de France and Vuetla a España complete the trifecta.
- Professional road bicycle racer Tom Dumoulin won the 100th race – becoming the first Dutch rider to win the race.
Details of Excellence on the R58 Centesimo:
- Italian cycling history comes together with Milan-made espresso machine mastery featuring custom pink dials, packaging, tamper, and engraved side panels celebrating past winners of the Giro d’Italia.
- Manufactured in Milan and limited to 100 machines. Only 9 exist in the United States and are individually numbered with a custom front face plant.
- PID-Controlled Double Boiler allowing for superior control of steam and brew boiler temperatures. PID controller is detachable.
- Plumb in adaptability; hosing included.
- Classic E61 Group providing thermal stability at the head of the machine.
- Insulated Steam Wand allowing for barista-quality steaming ability without the risk of burning your hands.
What does Gail think? Check it out!