OXO On Barista Brain Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
Are you an espresso aficionado one morning but a lover of French press the next? While keeping your taste buds on their toes (do taste buds have 'toes'?), the ever-changing grinding needs are almost enough to make you want to stick with one prep method...almost! Alas, the OXO On Barista Brain Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is here to make grinding a breeze with a built-in scale, the ability to grind by weight or number of cups of coffee and its range of grind settings.
- Built-In Scale - The integrated scale allows you to set the desired number of grams, which the grinder will then match.
- Multiple Ways to Grind - Grind by the number of cups or grams into a coffee container, which can hold up to 12-cups, or grind directly into a portafilter.
- Strength Adjustment - When grinding based on cups, the default setting is 8 grams per cup. If you'd like a stronger brew, simply move the indicator on the front to increase the number of grams ground per cup.
- Easy To Use - The simple dial/button and LED interface - which displays grind icons, warnings and settings - make using this grinder a breeze.
- A Smart Hopper - The 16 ounce hopper is UV-tinted to protect those precious beans and features a 'trap door' that holds beans in when the hopper is removed from the grinder.
- So Many Options! - The Barista Brain grinder lets you choose your preferred method of grinding, helping you get the perfect dose for your coffee preparation method.
- The Weighting Game - The built-in scale simplifies the grinding process.
- Putting on the Pressure - The pressur(ized) portafilter, that is. The grind doesn't quite go fine enough for use in a non-pressurized portafilter, but is a great companion to machines with a pressurized option.
How Does it Compare?
Occupying the same grinder category as Breville's Dose Control Pro, the OXO Barista Brain grinder lacks the ability to grind fine espresso but makes up for it with a built-in scale. Each with their own strengths, the choice will depend on the preparation methods for which it is used.
Tips and Tricks
We found the scale to consistently be 1 gram over, likely due to the remaining grinds in the chute falling into the container after the programmed amount was ground. Keep this in mind when using the grinder for methods that require a bit more precision, like pour over.
What it Covers: OXO On Electrics
Length: 2 Year
Who Supports the Warranty: OXO
Warranty Contact Information: 800.545.4411
Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty? No
Care and Maintenance
For detailed care instructions, please refer to your machine's user manual. We recommend that you also incorporate the following into your cleaning routine:
- Clean burrs on a weekly to bi-weekly basis, either with a cleaning brush or a burr grinder-specific cleaning product, such as Grindz
- Remove and hand wash bean hopper and lid with warm soap and water as needed
Product Weight (lbs.)
Bean Hopper Capacity
Burr - Conical Steel
Stainless Steel and Plastic
Coffee Press, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee
You probably recognize the name OXO International as a maker of affordable yet high-quality kitchen gadgets, essentials and cookware. What makes OXO accessories so popular is the fact that they’re made with a universal design approach—meaning they’re designed to fit in the hands of most users—and have high-grip, non-slip handles that help keep you in control. For whatever odds and ends your coffee setup needs, checkout our selection of OXO kitchen gear here at Seattle Coffee Gear