What’s it like living inside the head of a barista? We like to think there are a lot of coffee terms floating around, as well as images of portafilters and perfect rosettes, but we may never know. With the OXO Barista Brain 12-Cup Coffee Brewer, however, there is no guessing required!
Certified by the SCAA, this 12 -cup drip coffee maker (and kettle!) comes packed with features. Choose how much coffee you’d like to brew, between 4 and 12 cups, and the water will come up to optimal temperature in the kettle. The water is then pumped into the brew basket where it is evenly dispersed for full coffee grounds saturation. Or, if you’re feeling like a cuppa tea, choose to skip the coffee brewing process and boil water to one of several preferred infusion temperatures!
Features & Functionality of the Barista Brain Coffee Maker
- SCAA Certified - This coffee maker has been through the rigorous testing of the SCAA and bears the stamp of approval that it brews at the correct temperature for a great coffee extraction.
- Removable Water Kettle - The water reservoir doubles as a removable, glass water kettle for making tea, hot cocoa or ramen noodles!
- Internal Scale - With a built in scale, the OXO Barista Brain monitors water volume, allowing you to only brew the amount of coffee you want. What does that mean? If you have eight cups of water in the kettle, you can choose to only brew four cups of coffee. It will only disperse the amount of water that you've chosen.
- Easy To Use - The simple LED interface and dial/button make using this coffee maker a breeze. Just turn and push your way to the perfect cup.
- Removable Silicone Mixing Tube - An internal mixing tube helps blend the coffee throughout the carafe as it brews.
- Auto-Drip Stop - If the carafe is removed during the brew cycle, a sensor will temporarily stop brewing to prevent drips. Replace the carafe within 60 seconds to resume brewing.
- Wake-Up Timer - Set a desired 'wake-up' time and the coffee maker will automatically start your pre-programmed brew cycle.
|How Does it Compare?||
The OXO On Barista Brain 12-Cup Coffee Maker is similar in size to the Technivorm Moccamaster Grand, but with the added bonus of a built-in kettle.
A Note About Coffee & Cups
Let us break it down for you: Although 8 ounces equals a cup in the baking world, a US cup of coffee is measured at 6 ounces and a European cup of coffee is measured at 4.25 ounces. This is why we sometimes list ounces to paint a more accurate picture of capacity.
|Tips and Tricks||
Adjust the boiling point of your water, due to altitude, to get a customized brew!
|Product Weight (lbs.)||8.7500|
|Material||Stainless Steel and Plastic|
|Case Material||Stainless Steel/Plastic|
|Reservoir Size||60 ounces|
|Auto Shut Off||No|
|Max/Min Ounces per Pot||60 ounces maximum | 20 ounces minimum|
|Warm Up: Brew Time||13 minutes|
|Available Carafe Styles||Stainless Steel|
Ask a Question
The exact time to heat depends on the temperature setting and the amount of water heated.
Warranty Information for the OXO Barista Brain
|What it Covers:||
OXO On Electrics
|Who Supports the Warranty:||OXO|
|Warranty Contact Information:||800.545.4411|
|Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty?||No|
Caring for your OXO On 12-Cup Barista Brain Coffee Maker
For detailed care instructions, please refer to your machine's user manual. We recommend that you also incorporate the following into your cleaning routine:
- Descale when the descaling icon appears
- Clean the kettle, filter basket and stainless steel carafe after each use
- The outside of the coffee maker can be wiped off with a damp cloth
User Manuals for your OXO On 12-Cup Barista Brain Coffee Maker
- Great brewer for 4 to 12 cups (all with the same brew time)Review by Jeremy
Price Quality Value
- Brews at the CORRECT temperature for coffee (Altitude adjusted boiling point) 204 at the kettle, slightly lower at the nozzle but surely between 195-205.
- Brews for the CORRECT amount of time for ANY brew volume between 4-12 cups. It weighs the water and adjusts the pump speed to brew in a little over 4 minutes (4.5?).
- Great spray head mixes and stirs for you. Post brew you can see the indents in the grounds where the nozzles were spraying. No weak dribble here!
- Automatic presoak (bloom)
- Uses HUGE filters (commercial BUNN style) so you can brew strong without fear of overflowing.
- HOT coffee in the carafe and it stays hot for hours. Further proof of a proper brew temperature.
- Removable kettle so you can fill it at the sink or with your filtered pitcher with ease.
- You can set it to brew 10 cups of coffee and keep 2 cups of water hot in the carafe. This is great for brewing a pot of coffee and a pour over OR Aeorpress/French press for an alternate type of coffee (Or even tea if you are so inclined).
I have had the brewer for a couple months now and it brews a good cup of coffee without the trouble of various tinkerings that would have to be done for other brewers to get it right.
I recommend pairing this with the Bodum double walled insulated mug or tumbler. Great visual effect of floating coffee, keeps it hot, and a great feel.
My second purchase is going as a gift to my wife's parents. Worth it to have good coffee when visiting, plus they like the results and the removable kettle for easier water fills (no inverting or wrist rotation with heavy items). (Posted on 2/20/2016)
- Good startReview by Morales
Price Quality Value
OXO has put all of the smarts in the base and all the mechanicals in the water kettle. If you look at the bottom of the kettle it has the concentric metal contacts like a normal electric kettle, but there are like 5 rings. Inside the kettle is a small temperature sensor (sticks up 1/4" from the bottom) and a water pump that draws water from the bottom of the kettle and pushes it through a small tube (hidden in the handle?) and out the spout.
Inside the base is a scale so the base knows how much water is in the kettle, and it knows whether it is rotated for coffee brewing or water heating (pump will only work in coffee mode which only comes on when the spout is in position).
So when you turn on the machine (I've found this faster and easier than on the video) it knows how much water is there. You dial the amount of coffee you want, and it heats the water. It will not allow you to ask for more coffee than you have water (again, it knows).
Once the water is hot the pump, which is very quiet, gives the grounds a small dose of water to let it bloom, then periodically pumps in more water. This is 3-4 minutes for 6 cups after the water if hot. The whole process is very quiet.
I really like that it knows how much coffee you are making, and due to the pump can adjust the rate of water delivery based on how much coffee. I'm hoping that this means it will make good coffee in both large and small amounts (4-12 cup range, interestingly only in even cup steps). This is the feature that really drew me.
Also of interest is that the kettle lives nicely under a counter—you pull off the kettle to fill with water and are not trying to lift a flap and angle in a pitcher of water. This is really nice. Unfortunately the basket lid still comes up pretty high when you open it.
For me this has ended up saving space by replacing both a water kettle and a coffee maker. The thermos claims to hold it at drinking temperature for an hour, and to my experience does this even with only a couple of cups left in the bottom. Having all the mechanicals in the kettle makes a lot of sense. Is suspect it will make kettle replacements expensive, but it also replaces all of the moving and high temperature parts so hopefully the machine will last a long time.
So so far so good. (Posted on 10/4/2015)