What other manufacturer knows more about sating the throngs of coffee addicts lined up outside your cafe in the bleary morning hours? Rancilio moves beyond high-end commercial espresso makers with their professional line of grinders so that you can control everything about the shots of liquid energy your barista's craft for your customers.
The smallest of the MD line, the MD 40 is a Semi-Automatic grinder constructed of die-cut aluminum wrapped in polished steel and topped with a super-large, blue tinted and UV protected bean hopper designed to hold over a pound of roasted espresso beans. Appointed with tempered steel grinding plates that shred through beans, the MD 40 can produce over 7 pounds of fresh espresso in the span of an hour. Rounding out its features, the integrated doser makes it easy for the busy barista to tap out just the right amount of grounds into the waiting portafilter or press. Simply put, this grinder is a must-have for any cafe looking for quality, consistency and productivity from their grinder.
Beginner: Stepped grind adjustments and simple controls help anyone get grinding.
Intermediate: Grinders offering accurate grind controls and programmable dosing for daily coffee drinkers.
Expert: Stepless grind adjustments and pro-barista features make these the top of the line in coffee grinding.Commercial Use
Espresso: Designed for precision grinds at fine settings just for espresso.
Coffee: Consistent at coarser grind settings for slow brew coffee methods (no unpressurized espresso baskets).
Espresso and Coffee: Capable of consistent grinding in both espresso and slow brew ranges.Espresso
- Commercial Capacity: The powerful motor and grinder unit of this machine can turn beans into espresso in two seconds flat. Designed to deliver over 7 pounds of ground coffee in an hour, there isn't a coffee shop or cafe around able to provide demand that exceeds the Rancilio's ability to deliver.
- Steel Burr Grinder: The heavy duty 55mm burr grinding plates are made of tempered steel and operate at a super low RPM (rotations per minute) to prevent unnecessary heat build-up and transfer to your coffee beans. The grinder's motor is housed in thermal protection to prevent overheating.
- Coffee Dosing System: The MD 40's dosing system adjusts from 5 to 10 grams per dose.
- Semi-Automatic: You'll manually adjust the machine to fill the dosing chamber, which gives you a tad more control over output.
- Great Bean Hopper: The Rancilio hopper keeps 1 pound of coffee beans well sealed so they remain fresh and ready to grind. The blue tint prevents UV rays from damaging the beans in the hopper.
- Built-In Tamper: MD 40 has a built in (and removable) tamper that's adjustable between the 53mm and 56mm portafilter sizes
- Doser: Easy portioned coffee with a twist of a lever? The built-in doser on this machine does just that
- Price: If you're not setting up your cafe or office to handle this quantity of coffee, you might want to consider a machine that matches your usage better
- Semi-Automatic: The MD 40 is Semi-Automatic, so you'll have to manually turn the machine on or off to fill the dosing chamber
Founded by Roberto Rancilio in 1927, Rancilio has long been an authority in the espresso world. The brewers and grinders built by this brand present a great starting point for a home espresso set up. Their home machines are easy to get started on, but with some practice and care you’ll be producing café quality beverages from the comfort of your kitchen.
Product Weight (lbs.)
Bean Hopper Capacity
Programmable Dosing Functionality
Warranty Information for the Rancilio MD 40 Commercial Burr Espresso Grinder
What it Covers: Rancilio commercial espresso machines and grinders
Length: 1 year parts and labor
Warranty Point of Contact: Seattle Coffee Gear
Contact Information: 866-372-4734 or email us at Commercial.firstname.lastname@example.org
Can SCG Repair? No
Care and Maintenance
For detailed care instructions, please refer to your grinder's user manual. We recommend that you also incorporate the following into your cleaning routine:
- Clean burrs on a weekly to bi-weekly basis, either with a cleaning brush or a burr grinder-specific cleaning product, such as Grindz.
- Remove and hand wash bean hopper and lid with warm soap and water as needed