Nuova Simonelli Oscar II Espresso Machine
The singularity is one step closer to reality with the Nuova Simonelli Oscar II. A fancy new chrome job and a deceptively simple two-button human interface makes pulling an espresso shot easier than ever. High-performance components from the original Oscar, like the heat-exchange boiler and 58mm group head, meld with an updated articulated steam arm and volumetric programming for fantastic microfoam and just-right extractions every time. Nuova Simonelli's signature steam pressure is readily apparent with the Oscar II's manual lever configuration that lets you regulate how much steam flows through its extra-long frothing arm. Even better, its retooled Cylon-esque design adds an aggressive, futuristic look to the machine.
- Heat Exchange Boiler - The Oscar II's copper steam boiler offers efficient on-demand heat and an impressive milk steaming/frothing profile.
- Touch Programming - Volumetric programming lets you set your ideal single or double shot dispense time (after dialing in your grinder).
- Professional Portafilter - Just like the original, the Oscar II features a commercial-size 58mm portafilter.
- Articulated Steam Wand - An extra-long articulated steam arm makes it easy to froth just-right foam for your latte or cappuccino.
- Cup Warmer - A top-mounted cup warmer helps to prep your mugs to an ideal heat for preserving the flavor of espresso shots.
- The Human Element - Single and double espresso buttons (and a manual steam lever) are the only controls you need for delicious daily espresso.
- Feeling Hot Hot Hot - The Oscar II's heat exchange steam boiler lends piping hot heat to espresso shots and a best-in-class steam wand.
- Steam Superiority - Seriously, the steam wand on the Oscar II is frakking amazing. An analog switch at the top of the machine taps directly in to the machine's boiler for a really, really satisfying steaming/frothing experience.
- Preeminent Ergonomics - Someone put a lot of thought (and testing) into the ergonomics of the new Oscar II. The portafilter handle is canted so that your brew basket sits level on countertops for tamping, the steam switch is prominent and easy to find by touch, the frothing wand is extra long and mounted on a 360? ball joint, even the drip tray grill is curved for easy replacement after cleaning.
- Shiny Metal Toaster - BSG references aside, the Oscar II's futuristic design is great, but we wish they had focused a bit more on the fit and finish. Our unit's drip tray rattled whenever it refilled its boiler and the reservoir/boiler indicator lights are deceptively built in to the silicone button pad.
- Clashing Colors - Our review model sported a flat gray steam switch and portafilter handle, breaking the otherwise clean chrome and black colorway of the unit.
How Does it Compare?
The newest iteration of the
CenturionOscar features a much lighter design and a faster warm-up time than the original. The case of the Oscar II also features a mirror-finished chrome instead of its predecessors plastic build.
Tips and Tricks
The steam wand on the Oscar II really packs a punch–meaning your frothing time is quick, but the learning curve is steep! Luckily however, you can actually control the pressure yourself. If you're having trouble frothing milk with the froth-switch fully flipped on, try manually holding it partially open to slow the stream of steam.
What it Covers: Nuova Simonelli espresso machines
Length: 1 year (Musica and Oscar II)
Warranty Point of Contact: Seattle Coffee Gear
Contact Information: 866-372-4734 or email us at email@example.com
Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty? Yes
Can SCG Repair? Yes, read more about our repair services
Length: Gold Plan Required; 2 years parts, 1 year labor
Warranty Point of Contact: Nuova Simonelli USA
Contact Information: 360-366-2226
Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty? No
Can SCG Repair? No
Note: Commercial use espresso machines require Nuova Simonelli Gold or Platinum service plans. Self installation or improper water quality may void your commercial warranty. Call 866-372-4734 to set up your warranty package.
Care and Maintenance
- Soap out water reservoir and drip tray weekly.
- Backflush the brewhead weekly based on usage.
16 inches; extra height needed for reservoir access
Product Weight (lbs.)
Certified to NSF/ANSI Standards
Yes - with adaptation
Auto Shut Off
When you’re shopping for an espresso machine, you have to find the right balance between great features and user-friendliness. Nuova Simonelli espresso machines are a great fit for any user, as they allow even beginner users to pull perfect shots without hours of time spent on training. Seattle Coffee Gear offers a wide range of products from Nuova Simonelli to make sure you get the perfect hardware for your home or business.
Compare Similar Machines
|Rancilio Silvia Pro Espresso Machine||Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine||Izzo Alex PID Pro Espresso Machine|
|Auto Shut Off||Yes||Yes||No|
|Available Portafilters||Non-Pressurized, Bottomless||Pressurized and Non-Pressurized, Bottomless||Non-Pressurized|
|Boiler Design||Double Boiler||Double Boiler||Heat Exchanger|
|Boiler Material||Brass/Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Boiler Volume||1 L service boiler | 300 mL brew boiler||Espresso Boiler: 0.3L (10 ounces) | Steam Boiler: 0.95L (32 ounces)||2.3 L|
|Cup Clearance||3.5 inches||4 inches||4 inches|
|Depth||16.5 inches||15.00 inches||17.75 inches|
|Height||15.5 inches||15.00 inches||16.4 inches|
|Programmability||PID||PID, Pre-infusion, Shot Time||PID|
|Reservoir Size||2 L||84 ounces||2.3 L|
|Warm Up: Brew Time||8 minutes 20 seconds||14 minutes|
|Water Sources||Reservoir/Internal Tank||Reservoir/Internal Tank||Convertible - Internal Reservoir or Plumbed in|
|Width||10 inches||16.25 inches||14.3 inches|