A unique joining of two renowned brewing techniques, the American Press combines a pressurized brewing technique (similar to the Aeropress) and the classic shape of a regular French press into an all-in-one, travel-ready coffee companion. Designed with sleek sipping in mind, the American Press features a micro-mesh filtered brew chamber that you press through your brew water. The result? A visually striking reverse pillar of coffee ready to drink in under 3 minutes.
- Contained Grounds: A twist-in filter canister keeps your cup clean of sediment and offers an easy cleanup solution.
- Double-wall Tritan Plastic: Shatter-proof and BPA-free, the Tritan build of the American Press also serves to keep your coffee hot for ages.
- 100-micron Stainless Steel Filter Screens: Two reusable stainless steel filters keep grounds in but let oils out of the brew chamber.
- Simple Spout: A gentle curving lip makes the American Press easy to drink or pour from.
- Single Cup Solution: Just the right size for a piping hot cup of fresh coffee.
- Neat!: Fit and finish on the American Press is impressive, and the way the coffee seems to condense under your touch never gets boring.
- Easy Cleaning: A quick unclipping of the brew basket and a rinse has you reset for a second cup at a moment's notice.
- Pressure Brew: You're physically pushing your ground coffee through a sealed brew water chamber, creating a rich brew that's hard to beat.
- Insulated Tritan: The insulated body of the American Press keeps coffee hot and hands cool.
- One Cup Only: The American Press is limited to single (12 ounce) cups of coffee.
- No Reheating: The Tritan carafe has a bitty ring of metal at the lip, meaning it's definitely not microwave-safe.
- Pressure: It takes a decent amount of pressure to use the American Press, which means it might not be a great pick for someone with arthritis.
How Does it Compare?
We found small variations in your brewing technique—pre-infusion, dose adjustments, pressure—made little, if any, difference in the final brew flavor. This makes the American Press a forgiving brew method, but also means it's less versatile than the recipe-rich Aeropress.
Tips and Tricks
We recommend starting with American Press' ideal dosing: 22g (0.75 ounces) of coffee to 355ml (12 fluid ounces), and to aim for a medium, pour over grind.
Product Weight (lbs.)
Metal and Plastic
Care and Maintenance
- Do not use rough brushes or sponges to preserve long-term clarity of Tritan walls.
- Disassemble and clean filter basket after every use.
- NOTE: not microwave-safe.