This commercial-grade Baratza Vario Burr Grinder with metal portaholder and LED display features an advanced panel display, 54mm ceramic flat burrs, a throughput of 1.6-2.2 grams per second and an innovative macro/micro grind adjustment with 230 settings. The Vario and the Vario-W are virtually identical in design and capabilities: small footprint, macro/micro adjustment, 54mm ceramic burrs and a broad range of grinds.
Beginner: Stepped grind adjustments and simple controls help anyone get grinding.
Intermediate: Grinders offering accurate grind controls and programmable dosing for daily coffee drinkers.
Expert: Stepless grind adjustments and pro-barista features make these the top of the line in coffee grinding.Intermediate
Manual: Manually grind your just-right dose.
Timed: Set a grind time for automatic dosing.
Programmable: Program multiple grind times for extra drink options.
By Weight: A built-in scale weighs coffee as it grinds for a perfect dose.Timed
Espresso: Designed for precision grinds at fine settings just for espresso.
Coffee: Consistent at coarser grind settings for slow brew coffee methods (no unpressurized espresso baskets).
Espresso and Coffee: Capable of consistent grinding in both espresso and slow brew ranges.Coffee + Espresso
Stepped: Notched, labeled settings for easy adjustability and repeatability.
Stepless: Precision stepless adjustment allows for micro-changes to grind size.Stepped
- 54mm Ceramic Flat Burrs: These burrs stay sharper longer. Ceramic has a longer life than steel burrs and helps to keep the coffee cool by limiting the amount of heat transferred from the burrs to the grinds.
- Grind on Demand with Electronic Dosing: Grinds only the coffee required for each shot. Eliminates the risk of stale ground coffee common in mechanical dosing units.
- Innovative Dual Cam Grind Adjustment: The right-hand lever lets you choose what type of grind. The lever on the left lets you fine tune the grind within the range selected. More than 230 grind settings available.
- Programming: Features three user-programmable grind weight buttons.
- Super Quiet: Powerful motor turns slowly resulting in cool, quiet operation and permits extended grinding time. The circuitry is equipped with an automatic reset thermal switch.
- Metal PortaHolder: Universally adjustable brackets for any portafilter. Allows for hands-free operation.
- Commercial-Grade: With 230 settings, you may expect the Vario to be more of a beginner's machine. Not so. This grinder has the same high-quality design features as professional grinders.
- Precision Grind Adjustment: You'll get a precise grind with the Baratza Vario.
- Digital Display: The clear, easy-to-read display tells you the weight value that you're grinding.
- Too Much of a Good Thing: A score of grinding options can equal frustration when changing grinds for a new batch of beans.
How Does it Compare?
The Vario Burr Grinder uses a timing system to grind while the Vario W Burr Grinder weighs the ground coffee while grinding, then stops automatically when it reaches your desired weight.
Tips and Tricks
Remember to have the grinder running when you change the grind settings.
Few companies can balance quality and affordability quite like Baratza. Headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, Baratza continues to improve and innovate while also leading the industry in customer focus and support. Baratza’s catalog of grinders includes everything from simple, efficient drip coffee grinders all the way up to precise and powerful per-shot espresso grinders. Featuring technology like grind to weight and a range of burr sizes and styles, there’s a Baratza for everyone.
Product Weight (lbs.)
Bean Hopper Capacity
Programmable Dosing Functionality
Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings
Burr - Flat Ceramic
Coffee Press, Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals, including Chromium, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or reproductive harm. For more information, visit www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
What it Covers: Grinders
Length: 1 Year
Who Supports the Warranty: Baratza
Warranty Contact Information: 877-701-2021
Notes: Baratza has excellent troubleshooting resources on their website. If you're experiencing an issue with your grinder, definitely look here first.
Can SCG Repair? No, Tune-up Only read more about our repair services
Care and Maintenance
Clean burrs on a weekly to bi-weekly basis either with a cleaning brush or a burr grinder-specific cleaning product such as Grindz.
Remove and hand wash the bean hopper and lid with warm water and soap as needed.
Compare Similar Machines
|Baratza Vario-W Burr Grinder||Baratza Sette 270 Grinder||Eureka Mignon Silenzio Espresso Grinder|
As low as $479
|Adjustment Configuration||Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings||Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings||Stepless - Infinite Settings|
|Bean Hopper Capacity||8 oz||10 ounces||12 oz|
|Depth||5.0 inches||9.5 inches||5.6 inches|
|Grinder Style||Burr - Flat Ceramic||Burr - Conical Steel||Burr - Flat Steel|
|Height||14.0 inches with hopper | 9.5 inches without hopper||15.75 inches||13.8 inches|
|Recommended For||Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee||Espresso||Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over|
|Minimum Time to Grind Double Shot||17.2 seconds | 1.6-2.2 g/sec|
|Width||5.5 inches||5.25 inches||5 inches|