Rancilio. It's the most recognized name in commercial quality espresso machines and grinders. And now, the company has packaged all the professional features and functionality that they're famous for into its latest line of Rocky grinders. The Rocky Coffee Grinder is ideal for the coffee enthusiast looking for better control over grinding. Featuring 50mm burr grinding plates crafted of the finest tempered steel, the Rocky is designed to deliver 55 different types of quality grounds at the press of a button, all without imparting additional heat during the process. As for its functionality, it comes in a doser or doserless variety. With the doserless, you'll have more manual control over the amount of grounds you deliver to your chosen filter or carafe. And with a doser, you'll have the ability to tap out the right amount of grounds into the portafilter and then go straight to your espresso machine in mere seconds.
Beginner: Stepped grind adjustments and simple controls help anyone get grinding.
Intermediate: Grinders offering accurate grind controls and programmable dosing for daily coffee drinkers.
Expert: Stepless grind adjustments and pro-barista features make these the top of the line in coffee grinding.Intermediate
Manual: Manually grind your just-right dose.
Timed: Set a grind time for automatic dosing.
Programmable: Program multiple grind times for extra drink options.
By Weight: A built-in scale weighs coffee as it grinds for a perfect dose.Manual
Espresso: Designed for precision grinds at fine settings just for espresso.
Coffee: Consistent at coarser grind settings for slow brew coffee methods (no unpressurized espresso baskets).
Espresso and Coffee: Capable of consistent grinding in both espresso and slow brew ranges.Coffee + Espresso
Stepped: Notched, labeled settings for easy adjustability and repeatability.
Stepless: Precision stepless adjustment allows for micro-changes to grind size.Stepped
- Commercial Quality Grinding Burrs: The tempered steel grinding plates rotate at super slow speeds to prevent heat build-up, which can ruin your perfectly roasted beans. The hugely productive motor is also insulated to prevent overheating.
- Excellent Home Hopper: The compact hopper is blue tinted for UV protection of your beans, but still easily see-through for monitoring of your bean level. The hopper holds over a half pound of beans, and lifts off for easy cleaning.
- 55 Ways to Grind: A twist of the grind dial on the Rocky gives you 55 levels of control over the output of the grinder. The ultra-fine threading allows you the versatility of going from espresso to drip to French press coffee brewing, and every other type between!
- Quiet, Powerful and Safe: Rancilio designs for commercial use, and that means creating motors and grinders that emit as little noise as possible. The Rocky Grinder is no exception, and is one of the quietest available. Safety is just as important, with the balance of the grinding elements designed to prevent rocking and torque. Should the grinding mechanism jam or become overheated, a thermal protection device shuts it down to prevent damage to the motor or the grinding mechanisms.
- Commercial-Grade Burr Grinder: The 50mm steel grinding plates are the same construction and quality as Rancilio's commercial grinders. Note that the Rocky is not made for a commercial setting, it's just built tough!
- Perfect Capacity: Smaller than the big commercial grinders, this machine still handles a little more than a half pound of beans at a time.
- Too Much Machine?: This is a high quality, high output commercial style grinder. Make sure the features fit your home needs.
- Power Switch: Some users have complained about the placement of the power switch on the Rocky. Its location may make it difficult to handle the portafilter and operate the machine at the same time.
- Large: The Rocky weighs 18 pounds and the motor makes up 11 of them. This will certainly take center stage in a small kitchen so make sure to measure your space prior to purchasing.
How Does it Compare?
The doserless version can be a little messier than the doser model, but some portafilters will not fit with the doser version such as the Breville Bambino due to the design of the portafilter itself.
Tips and Tricks
Our experiments with Turkish coffee grinds on the Rocky have been hit or miss. Every other grind has been super consistent.
Founded by Roberto Rancilio in 1927, Rancilio has long been an authority in the espresso world. The brewers and grinders built by this brand present a great starting point for a home espresso set up. Their home machines are easy to get started on, but with some practice and care you’ll be producing café quality beverages from the comfort of your kitchen.
Product Weight (lbs.)
Bean Hopper Capacity
Doser or Doserless Versions Available
Stepped - Macro Settings Only
Burr - Flat Steel
Metal and Plastic
Coffee Press, Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee
What it Covers: Rancilio home espresso machines and grinders
Length: 1 year parts and labor
Warranty Point of Contact: Seattle Coffee Gear
Contact Information: 866-372-4734 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can SCG Repair? Yes, Silvia and Silvia Pro X only
Care and Maintenance
- Clean burrs on a weekly to bi-weekly basis, either with a cleaning brush or a burr grinder-specific cleaning product, such as Grindz.
- Remove and hand wash bean hopper and lid with warm soap and water as needed.