Just when we thought these burr grinders couldn't get any sharper, Breville introduces the Smart Grinder Pro! While this grinder can't exactly solve differential equations (but who can?!), it can determine the process for grinding through equal levels of coffee across separate grind cycles. Featuring Breville's innovative dosing technology, aptly named the Dosing IQ, this smarty-pants is designed to offer precise adjustment of your grind time in 0.2-second increments, along with easy saving functionality for quick storage of your preferred settings. All this in combination with the Breville Smart Grinder Pro's 60 grind settings will make you wonder how you ever drank coffee without it!
Beginner: Stepped grind adjustments and simple controls help anyone get grinding.
Intermediate: Grinders offering accurate grind controls and programmable dosing for daily coffee drinkers.
Expert: Stepless grind adjustments and pro-barista features make these the top of the line in coffee grinding.Beginner
Manual: Manually grind your just-right dose.
Timed: Set a grind time for automatic dosing.
Programmable: Program multiple grind times for extra drink options.
By Weight: A built-in scale weighs coffee as it grinds for a perfect dose.Timed
Espresso: Designed for precision grinds at fine settings just for espresso.
Coffee: Consistent at coarser grind settings for slow brew coffee methods (no unpressurized espresso baskets).
Espresso and Coffee: Capable of consistent grinding in both espresso and slow brew ranges.Coffee
Stepped: Notched, labeled settings for easy adjustability and repeatability.
Stepless: Precision stepless adjustment allows for micro-changes to grind size.Stepped
- Grind Settings Galore!: With 60 different grind settings to choose from, you're sure to find the right grind no matter what you're brewing!
- Adjustable Top Burr: By twisting off the top burr to manually adjust the grinders' default settings, you'll find you can grind to finer or coarser levels than the default calibration. We also recommend making this adjustment as it can extend the service life of your grinder.
- Automatic Grinding: The Smart Grinder Pro provides a simple platform to support your portafilter for effortless activation of the auto-grind function–simply slide your portafilter under the grind chute and push it back until switch clicks.
- Manual Grinding: Keep the activation button engaged with maintained pressure from the portafilter to take manual control over the grind time.
- Removable Bean Hopper: Designed to contain 1 full pound of beans, this hopper features easy removal (one of the easiest we've ever used) with just a flip of the locking handle.
- Pause Function: Pause the Smart Grinder Pro mid grind cycle to even out your portafilter. Once your grounds are evenly settled, hit the start button and the Smart Grinder Pro will grind through the remaining amount.
- Programmability: The Smart Grinder Pro allows for an easy selection of your optimal grinding time per each shot within setting. Once your desired grind time is displayed on screen, hold the program button until the grinder beeps twice, letting you know your grind time is saved.
- The Little Things That Count: Breville is always thinking of the consumer and we love that! Like the original Smart Grinder, the Smart Grinder Pro also includes a neat and tidy cord wrap under the grinder to store the power cord when not in use, as well as portafilter holders for hands-free grinding.
How Does it Compare?
Compared to the original Smart Grinder, the Smart Grinder Pro offers 60 grind settings (compared to the original Smart Grinder's 25 settings), an adjustable top burr for an extended grind range and timed grind cycles for added volume consistency between each brew.
Tips and Tricks
The factory burr setting is perfect for drip coffee and a good starting point for dialing in an espresso grind. For French press, we recommend adjusting the top burr to 9 or 10 and setting the digital screen to the coarsest grind possible for a true French press grind.
Breville’s range of espresso machines, drip brewers, and grinders seek to make gourmet coffee easier in the home. From the perfect starter espresso machine to smart, powerful brewers, Breville brings something for everyone. Founded in 1932, Breville is known for producing espresso machines, drip brewers, and grinders that embrace usability without sacrificing performance.
Product Weight (lbs.)
Bean Hopper Capacity
Programmable Dosing Functionality
Burr - Conical Steel
Metal and Plastic
Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee
What it Covers: Breville espresso machines, grinders and blenders
Length: 2 Years (Covers Oracle Touch, Oracle, Dual Boiler, Dynamic Duo, Barista Touch, Barista Pro, Bambino Plus, and Precision Brewers), 1 Year (Covers Bambino, Smart Grinder Pro, and Milk Cafe)
Who Supports the Warranty: Breville USA
Warranty Contact Information: 866-273-8455
Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty? Yes (Espresso Machines Only)
Can SCG Repair? Yes Read more about our repair services.
Note: Please register your product with Breville for warranty support.
Care and Maintenance
- Clean burrs on a weekly to bi-weekly basis, either with a cleaning brush or a burr grinder-specific cleaning product, such as Grindz
- Remove and hand wash bean hopper and lid with warm soap and water as needed
Compare Similar Machines
|Baratza Sette 30 AP Espresso Grinder||Rancilio Rocky Coffee Grinder||Eureka Mignon Notte Espresso Grinder|
As low as $400
|Adjustment Configuration||Stepped - Macro Settings Only||Stepped - Macro Settings Only||Stepless - Infinite Settings|
|Bean Hopper Capacity||10 oz||8 oz||12 oz|
|Depth||9.5 inches||9.8 inches||5.5 inches|
|Grinder Style||Burr - Conical Steel||Burr - Flat Steel||Burr - Flat Steel|
|Height||15.75 inches||14.0 inches||13.8 inches|
|Recommended For||Espresso||Coffee Press, Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee||Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over|
|Minimum Time to Grind Double Shot||5.2 seconds||20 to 30 seconds|
|Width||4.5 inches||4.7 inches||5 inches|