Named one of the best new products of 2011, the Baratza Vario-W Burr Grinder gives you the ability to create a precise grind for ideal shots. Using real-time weight-based grinding with a built-in electronic scale, all you need to do is set your weight preference and the Vario-W will do the rest. This gem of a grinder weighs the ground coffee and will stop grinding automatically when it has reached your desired weight.
Please Note: Our video features the previous version (model # 985) that does not include the shut-off hopper.
Beginner: Stepped grind adjustments and simple controls help anyone get grinding.
Intermediate: Grinders offering accurate grind controls and programmable dosing for daily coffee drinkers.
Expert: Stepless grind adjustments and pro-barista features make these the top of the line in coffee grinding.Intermediate
Manual: Manually grind your just-right dose.
Timed: Set a grind time for automatic dosing.
Programmable: Program multiple grind times for extra drink options.
By Weight: A built-in scale weighs coffee as it grinds for a perfect dose.By Weight
Espresso: Designed for precision grinds at fine settings just for espresso.
Coffee: Consistent at coarser grind settings for slow brew coffee methods (no unpressurized espresso baskets).
Espresso and Coffee: Capable of consistent grinding in both espresso and slow brew ranges.Coffee + Espresso
Stepped: Notched, labeled settings for easy adjustability and repeatability.
Stepless: Precision stepless adjustment allows for micro-changes to grind size.Stepped
- Shut-Off Hopper: The newest version of the Vario-W (model # 986) now includes a shut-off hopper for convenient coffee bean switching.
- 54mm Ceramic Flat Burrs: These burrs stay sharper longer. Ceramic has a longer life than steel burrs and helps to keep the coffee cool by limiting the amount of heat transferred from the burrs to the grinds.
- Weight-Based: Set the weight of your desired ground coffee to more or less than 0.2g and the Vario-W will weigh the ground coffee while grinding, then stop automatically when it reaches your desired weight.
- Easy-to-Read: Digital LCD window shows the weight value that is being ground, so you won't need to worry about pre-weighing your beans any longer.
- Grind on Demand with Electronic Dosing: Grinds only the coffee you require for each shot. Eliminates the risk of stale ground coffee common in mechanical dosing units.
- Programming: Features three, user-programmable grind weight buttons.
- Innovative Dual Cam Grind Adjustment: The right-hand lever lets you choose what type of grind. The lever on the left lets you fine tune the grind within the range selected. More than 230 grind settings available.
- Super Quiet: Powerful DC motor turns slowly resulting in cool, quiet operation and permits extended grinding time. The circuitry is equipped with an automatic reset thermal switch.
- Commercial-Grade: With 230 settings, you may expect the Vario-W to be more of a beginner's machine. Not so. This grinder has the same high-quality design features as professional grinders.
- Precision Grind Adjustment: You'll get a precise grind with the Baratza Vario-W.
- Digital Display: The clear, easy-to-read display tells you the weight value that you're grinding.
- Too Much Goodness: A score of grinding options can equal frustration when changing grinds for a new batch of beans.
How Does it Compare?
The Vario-W is accurate, consistent and has 230 grind options versus other models. The grind is from 230-1150 microns.
Tips and Tricks
Accessory 54mm flat steel burrs are available for the Vario-W. These are for use in a Vario-W dedicated to grinding for drip brewing using a medium to coarse grind. To be clear, these will NOT grind fine enough for espresso. They are solely for a coarser grind used in drip brewing.
14.0 inches with hopper | 9.5 inches without hopper
Product Weight (lbs.)
Bean Hopper Capacity
Programmable Dosing Functionality
Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings
Burr - Flat Ceramic
Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals, including Chromium, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or reproductive harm. For more information, visit www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
What it Covers: Grinders
Length: 1 Year
Who Supports the Warranty: Baratza
Warranty Contact Information: (425) 641-1245
Notes: Baratza has excellent troubleshooting resources on their website. If you're experiencing an issue with your grinder, definitely look here first.
Can SCG Repair? No, Tune-up Only read more about our repair services
Care and Maintenance
Clean burrs on a weekly to bi-weekly basis either with a cleaning brush or a burr grinder-specific cleaning product such as Grindz.
Remove and hand wash the bean hopper and lid with warm water and soap as needed.
Compare Similar Machines
|Baratza Vario Burr Grinder with Metal PortaHolder||Baratza Sette 270Wi Espresso Grinder||Eureka Mignon Specialita Espresso Grinder|
$599 Regular Price $649
|Adjustment Configuration||Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings||Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings||Stepless - Infinite Settings|
|Bean Hopper Capacity||8 ounces||10 ounces||12 oz.|
|Depth||7.00 inches||9.5 inches||5.6 inches|
|Grinder Style||Burr - Flat Ceramic||Burr - Conical Steel||Burr - Flat Steel|
|Height||14.25 inches||15.75 inches||13.8 inches|
|Recommended For||Coffee Press, Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee||Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over||Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over|
|Minimum Time to Grind Double Shot||11 seconds|
|Width||5.25 inches||5.25 inches||5 inches|