Named one of the best new products of 2011, the Baratza Vario-W Burr Grinder gives you the ability to create a precise grind for ideal shots. Using real-time weight-based grinding with a built-in electronic scale, all you need to do is set your weight preference and the Vario-W will do the rest. This gem of a grinder weighs the ground coffee and will stop grinding automatically when it has reached your desired weight.
Please Note: Our video features the previous version (model # 985) that does not include the shut-off hopper.
Beginner: Stepped grind adjustments and simple controls help anyone get grinding.
Intermediate: Grinders offering accurate grind controls and programmable dosing for daily coffee drinkers.
Expert: Stepless grind adjustments and pro-barista features make these the top of the line in coffee grinding.Intermediate
Manual: Manually grind your just-right dose.
Timed: Set a grind time for automatic dosing.
Programmable: Program multiple grind times for extra drink options.
By Weight: A built-in scale weighs coffee as it grinds for a perfect dose.By Weight
Espresso: Designed for precision grinds at fine settings just for espresso.
Coffee: Consistent at coarser grind settings for slow brew coffee methods (no unpressurized espresso baskets).
Espresso and Coffee: Capable of consistent grinding in both espresso and slow brew ranges.Coffee + Espresso
Stepped: Notched, labeled settings for easy adjustability and repeatability.
Stepless: Precision stepless adjustment allows for micro-changes to grind size.Stepped
- Shut-Off Hopper: The newest version of the Vario-W (model # 986) now includes a shut-off hopper for convenient coffee bean switching.
- 54mm Ceramic Flat Burrs: These burrs stay sharper longer. Ceramic has a longer life than steel burrs and helps to keep the coffee cool by limiting the amount of heat transferred from the burrs to the grinds.
- Weight-Based: Set the weight of your desired ground coffee to more or less than 0.2g and the Vario-W will weigh the ground coffee while grinding, then stop automatically when it reaches your desired weight.
- Easy-to-Read: Digital LCD window shows the weight value that is being ground, so you won't need to worry about pre-weighing your beans any longer.
- Grind on Demand with Electronic Dosing: Grinds only the coffee you require for each shot. Eliminates the risk of stale ground coffee common in mechanical dosing units.
- Programming: Features three, user-programmable grind weight buttons.
- Innovative Dual Cam Grind Adjustment: The right-hand lever lets you choose what type of grind. The lever on the left lets you fine tune the grind within the range selected. More than 230 grind settings available.
- Super Quiet: Powerful DC motor turns slowly resulting in cool, quiet operation and permits extended grinding time. The circuitry is equipped with an automatic reset thermal switch.
- Commercial-Grade: With 230 settings, you may expect the Vario-W to be more of a beginner's machine. Not so. This grinder has the same high-quality design features as professional grinders.
- Precision Grind Adjustment: You'll get a precise grind with the Baratza Vario-W.
- Digital Display: The clear, easy-to-read display tells you the weight value that you're grinding.
- Too Much Goodness: A score of grinding options can equal frustration when changing grinds for a new batch of beans.
How Does it Compare?
The Vario-W is accurate, consistent and has 230 grind options versus other models. The grind is from 230-1150 microns.
Tips and Tricks
Accessory 54mm flat steel burrs are available for the Vario-W. These are for use in a Vario-W dedicated to grinding for drip brewing using a medium to coarse grind. To be clear, these will NOT grind fine enough for espresso. They are solely for a coarser grind used in drip brewing.
Few companies can balance quality and affordability quite like Baratza. Headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, Baratza continues to improve and innovate while also leading the industry in customer focus and support. Baratza’s catalog of grinders includes everything from simple, efficient drip coffee grinders all the way up to precise and powerful per-shot espresso grinders. Featuring technology like grind to weight and a range of burr sizes and styles, there’s a Baratza for everyone.
14.0 inches with hopper | 9.5 inches without hopper
Product Weight (lbs.)
Bean Hopper Capacity
Programmable Dosing Functionality
Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings
Burr - Flat Ceramic
Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals, including Chromium, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or reproductive harm. For more information, visit www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
What it Covers: Grinders
Length: 1 Year
Who Supports the Warranty: Baratza
Warranty Contact Information: 877-701-2021
Notes: Baratza has excellent troubleshooting resources on their website. If you're experiencing an issue with your grinder, definitely look here first.
Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty? No
Can SCG Repair? No, Tune-up Only read more about our repair services
Care and Maintenance
Clean burrs on a weekly to bi-weekly basis either with a cleaning brush or a burr grinder-specific cleaning product such as Grindz.
Remove and hand wash the bean hopper and lid with warm water and soap as needed.
Compare Similar Machines
|Baratza Vario Burr Grinder with Metal PortaHolder||Baratza Sette 270Wi Espresso Grinder||Eureka Mignon Specialita Espresso Grinder|
As low as $699
|Adjustment Configuration||Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings||Stepped - Macro and Micro Settings||Stepless - Infinite Settings|
|Bean Hopper Capacity||8 ounces||10 ounces||12 oz.|
|Depth||7.00 inches||9.5 inches||5.6 inches|
|Grinder Style||Burr - Flat Ceramic||Burr - Conical Steel||Burr - Flat Steel|
|Height||14.25 inches||15.75 inches||13.8 inches|
|Recommended For||Coffee Press, Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over, Drip Coffee||Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over||Espresso, Fine Drip / Pour Over|
|Minimum Time to Grind Double Shot||11 seconds|
|Width||5.25 inches||5.25 inches||5 inches|